Sample motion for local UCU branches
This branch notes:
- A critical element of the campaign to restore our USS benefits, worth on average £8000 to every USS member between 2022 to 2024, is the legal case brought by members Neil Davies and Ewan McGaughey.
- They are currently fundraising £350k to take their case to the Court of Appeal. Previous fundraising rounds have been generously supported by UCU branches up and down the country, including our own.
- These branch donations have substantially alleviated the financial burden on individual members and allowed the case to proceed to this stage.
- Since the High Court hearing, the USS CEO has announced his resignation; USS is now reporting a surplus and has published more information about its climate change plans.
This branch believes that
- Branches have previously donated to this effort, so there is nothing unusual about the present proposal.
- There is a need for a second instalment based on the stage reached by the court case.
- Branches have played no role in the development of the case, which is being handled by Neil and Ewan.
- Making a fresh contribution will allow their action to proceed.
- It is essential to legally test the principle that the managers of a pension scheme such as USS must fulfil their responsibilities.
This branch resolves:
- To provide £XXXX to support the legal case as several other branches have done for the most recent round of funding;
- To circulate the crowd funder to members in the branch;
- To call on the national officers to enact the lawful decisions of our delegates at Conference and the NEC.